Welcome to the lab, please watch your step...

Welcome to the lab, please watch your step.... I'm a busy young zombie just trying to balance writing, food and life. I love to cook and love to eat even more! And I promise I won't eat your brains—unless they are made from cake, then I can make no promises.
This is where I run my experiments and post the results for your enjoyment. I have a weird sense of humor, so bare with me, I promise the food will be good ;)

Wednesday, April 29, 2015

As American As... An Apple Pie Story

     I have a confession. As a child, I did not like pie. The only pie I liked was my moms Chicken Pot Pie. Cream pies, nut pies, fruit pies, those were strange and icky foods full of mystery ingredients. It wasn't until college that I saw the light.
Picture from Bettycrocker.com

     Apple pie.

     Buttery, flaky crust sandwiching layers of tender-crisp, sweet apples and cinnamon-y sweet sauciness. Just thinking about it makes my mouth water.

     The only problem? Making a pie in my dorm. You can't eat the whole thing in one sitting (or at least you SHOULDN'T) and there's no easy way to keep the leftovers in your mini-fridge.

     The solution?

     Apple Dumplings.

     All the same elements as the pie, only in convenient single serving packages, which can easily be stored in a tupperware. And honestly, they are so much easier! All my friends and family adore them, so now I share the secrets to apple-y bliss with you.

Apple Dumplings

Serves: 6
Time: 1 hour (approx)

Ingredients for Dumplings:
- 3 apples (buy a type that's good for pies. I like Fuji apples)
- 1 package pie crusts (yes, I cheat. If you want to make your dough more power to you!)
- 1 stick butter (minus 1 Tblsp)
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 Tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp FRESH nutmeg (if you don't know why ask Alton Brown)

For Syrup:
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 Tblsp butter
- dash of cinnamon and grate of nutmeg

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400.

1) Peel, core, and cut apples in half.


2) Roll out pie crust and arrange apple halves evenly, cut side up. Cut dough into thirds.

3) Place a pat of butter into the hollow of each apple.


4) Mix sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg.


5) Spoon cinnamon-sugar mixture over butter pat.

6) Fold edges of pie dough around the apple, creating a sealed package.


7) Place in a deep baking dish, approximately 1-2 inches apart.


8) Add another pat of butter atop each package, and sprinkle tops with remaining cinnamon-sugar.

9) Heat water, sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg to boiling in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add butter and reduce 3-5 minutes. 

10) Pour syrup AROUND (not on top of!) apple packages.

11) Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until crust turns golden brown.

12) Serve warm with vanilla ice cream, spoon sauce over both. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment