Welcome to the lab, please watch your step...

Welcome to the lab, please watch your step.... I'm a busy young zombie just trying to balance writing, food and life. I love to cook and love to eat even more! And I promise I won't eat your brains—unless they are made from cake, then I can make no promises.
This is where I run my experiments and post the results for your enjoyment. I have a weird sense of humor, so bare with me, I promise the food will be good ;)

Sunday, August 31, 2014

Un-stuffed Cabbage

So I made this last night and put a photo up on facebook.  People (mostly my cousins) exploded wanting me to share the recipe.  So here it is ^_^

Un-Stuffed Cabbage
This is a great one-pot week night meal.  And a great way to sneak some vegetables into your kids tummies!  You can use brown rice instead of white in this recipe, but be sure to add more liquid and let it cook a little longer.

 Ingredients:
  • 1 lb ground beef (I used 1/2 lb ground pork b/c it was cheaper and I just had 2 people to feed)
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1/2 bell pepper, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 cup white rice (you could increase this to 2 if you have more people to feed, but remember to increase the liquid!)
  • 2 cups beef stock (or whatever stock/bouillon you have on hand)
  • 1 cup tomato sauce (or an 8 oz can.  You can also use a can of tomato soup)
  • 1/2 head of cabbage, chopped or shredded
  • 1/2or 1 teaspoon paprika (depending on your taste)
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
  • Salt and pepper to taste
 Directions:
  1.   In a large, wide pan with a lid, heat 1 tblsp vegetable oil over medium heat.  Saute onion and pepper until softened and slightly translucent.  Add garlic and saute until fragrant.
  2. Add ground beef and brown.  
  3. Add paprika and cayenne.
  4. Add rice and toast till golden.
  5. Pour in beef broth and tomato sauce.  Stir to combine—make sure to scrape up any rice sticking to bottom of pan.  Add salt and pepper to taste.
  6. Cover and let simmer. 7 minutes.  Keep an eye on the moisture level (some rices absorb more than others).
  7. Uncover, stir and add in chopped cabbage.  Add more liquid if necessary.  
  8. Recover and simmer until cabbage is tender and rice is cooked (another 5-10 minutes).
  9. Serve and enjoy!  Makes 4 servings with lots of leftovers!

No comments:

Post a Comment