Welcome to the lab, please watch your step...

Welcome to the lab, please watch your step.... I'm a busy young zombie just trying to balance writing, food and life. I love to cook and love to eat even more! And I promise I won't eat your brains—unless they are made from cake, then I can make no promises.
This is where I run my experiments and post the results for your enjoyment. I have a weird sense of humor, so bare with me, I promise the food will be good ;)

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

The Wonders of Ramen

     I was reading an article earlier today about how hard times are and what people have to do to get by.  I was reminded of my college days when I was at my poorest.  Naturally the memories called to my mind were of scrounging dimes from my car floor to buy a packet of ramen from the store.

Most every college student has had their moments eating only ramen, and anyone can tell you it gets boring quickly.  However there are many resources out there for the monetarily challenged to get the most out of that ramen package.  I did a little digging and here I offer some of the ones I thought sounded the yummiest (and craziest!).  The breakfast burrito sounds especially yummy (and could possibly be done in a microwave)

1) Broccoli and Ramen Noodle Salad
allrecipes.com

Ingredients
1 (16 ounce) package broccoli coleslaw mix
2 (3 ounce) packages chicken flavored ramen noodles
1 bunch green onions, chopped
1 cup unsalted peanuts
1 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup cider vinegar

Directions

In a large salad bowl, combine the slaw, broken noodles and green onions.

Whisk together the sugar, oil, vinegar and ramen seasoning packets. Pour over salad and toss to evenly coat. Refrigerate until chilled; top with peanuts and sunflower seeds before serving. 

 

2) Ramen Breakfast Burritos

Ingredients

2 cups water

1 pack Ramen noodles (any flavor you like) 

1 egg  

1/4 cup shredded cheese  

hot sauce (if desired) 

flour tortillas 

Directions 

Boil ramen noodles. Beat egg until scrambled and add to boiling ramen. Cook until done.  Drain all but 1 tablespoon water. Stir in seasoning packet, cup shredded cheese and a dash or two of hot sauce. Wrap flavored noodles in warm tortillas for breakfast burritos.

 

Here are some others to check out:

Noodle Pepperoni Pizza 

Ramen Stew 

Enjoy and try to make your own modification on this cheap staple!

Nom Noms,

-Z.Q.

No comments:

Post a Comment